Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Making a Promotional Poster

While developing the flyers I was focused on creating something that would be eye catching for college students. For the Smore flyer, it only took me about 30 minutes to create a product that I felt would catch someone's eye and also communicate all the necessary information readers needed to understand what events there would be and when they would happen. The ability to add in a video was another plus since I feel people would be attracted to it. Were I doing this for an actual event I would make a video about banned book week and keep it short, about 30 seconds to a minute instead of the library tour video. The layout creates a good contrast between the text and background. The divided parts come together nicely as a whole piece. In the future I think I will be using Smore when trying to create nice flyers. 

I decided to use Microsoft Publisher for the PDF flyer I needed to make and still feel frustrated with the design. I changed the color scheme between the text and background multiple times to try and have a good contrast. I didn't want an image hard to see from far away or that would clutter the poster so I used a transparent simple one and then added some shapes on it to create a banned book image. Prior to settling on this I did go through multiple images and all just seemed to clutter the poster instead of adding to the design. The text was something else I had an issue with; there is less on the PDF poster but it still feels like to much to me. I tried to use horizontal and vertical lines to draw the eye of the viewer. I also tried to use alignments to make it look a bit more interesting. In the end I feel what I came up with would be acceptable at least. 

The two flyers: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

ALA Adventures: REFORMA

The American Library Association's annual conference at Chicago (#alaac17) for 2017 is concluding tomorrow and luckily I was able to at...