Friday, July 24, 2015

VLC Google Template Reflection

The most useful thing to me about the VLC template was the detail in each section on what could be put there. It gives you an idea of where to begin which was useful given it was the first virtual learning commons I had ever made. The site comes with a number of pages already created and labeled that allow the site developer to easily organize different events, projects, archives, news, books, and other items so that users of the site will know which page has what they are looking for. The preloaded videos seemed very helpful in site development to me as well and I kept them to review at a later date. Having worked with Google Sites before on other pages I found it helpful that they already had the side bar created with suggestions of content to add as well. From looking at the Rebecca Crown University website I was easily able to determine what would be useful across different pages of the website for quick reference by users.

There were a few things about the template that were somewhat frustrating. Even being familiar with Google Sites I was not able to determine how to edit the custom footer and chose to remove it instead. The three columns seemed to ask for similar information across the different pages. I would have omitted some of the repeated suggestions for content in some areas just to make it a little less redundant. From my own understanding of a virtual learning commons I felt there was more physical information described than there needed to be. This template has veered from my understanding of what a virtual learning commons can and should encompass but given it was a somewhat new concept to begin with that was not surprising.

In my mind a virtual learning commons would be a completely virtual space that people interact with and learn new things. I can understand having some physical information just for location or instructional purposes but feel that describing all physical club events would not be as useful as webinars. Based on this I think if I am ever able to construct a virtual learning commons I will make sure to include detailed information about the physical commons on one page for users that prefer to have that information or see past projects done in the library. Something that I felt should have been included were discussion boards or chat windows. It would be useful to have them integrated already into the template instead of trying to figure out the coding needed for it. Allowing comments on a page seems messy to me given the page itself is supposed to be a fixed item on the website and the comments would need to be deleted when new content is published. Also I wish there was an option to allow users to upload files with suggestions for content instead of having them contact me to see if they can contribute to the commons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ALA Adventures: REFORMA

The American Library Association's annual conference at Chicago (#alaac17) for 2017 is concluding tomorrow and luckily I was able to at...